We love smoothies here at the Yankee Homestead. Who doesn’t?
Listed below is one of our favorite combinations of ingredients, although we do experiment from time to time.
A wonderful thing about smoothies is that the ingredients and amounts are endlessly variable!
The amounts listed below produce about 4 cups finished product, which is enough for a tall glass for yours truly, plus 2 child-sized servings.
Have fun experimenting!
Shameless plug: We LOVE our Vitamix blender! Read more about it here: The Almighty Vitamix.
- 1 or 2 ripe bananas, broken into 2 or 3 pieces each
- 1-4 heaping TB almond butter
- 1-3 tsp bee pollen granules
- 1-2 TB Amazing Grass Green Powder
- 1-2 cups frozen berries
- Liquid stevia, to taste (We like vanilla creme stevia)
- 1 can (about 14 oz) coconut milk
Combine all ingredients and blend.
A few notes:
- Bee pollen can be purchased at any health food store, or ordered online.
- Blueberries cover over a multitude of greens! If you include green powder or green vegetables in your smoothies, I highly recommend adding blueberries as well. They’ll mask the color.
- Strawberries add sweetness and help to mask the green taste.
- See our favorite brand of coconut milk here: Coconut Milk Ice Cream.
- The powders absorb liquid over time, causing the smoothies to “thicken” or become gelatinous. To combat this, add extra water and try to drink them as soon as possible. If they get too thick after they’re in the glass, you can add liquid to each cup and stir or shake. (For the kids, we use smoothie cups with lids and straws. The lids are pretty leak-proof, so I can shake their cups). You can also pour the smoothies back into the blender and re-blend.