I may or may not have eaten four of these the other night. In under an hour.
Not only are these cookies oh-so-delicious, they’re also free of gluten, sugar (except for the sugar in the chocolate chips) and eggs. Almond flour makes them especially nutritious, which is what I may or may not have told myself as I ate (or did not eat) those four cookies. As well as the four that I may or may not have eaten the next day.
Chocolate Chip Cookies with Almond Flour
- 2½ cups blanched almond flour (do not use Bob’s Red Mill)
- ½ tsp unrefined sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup applesauce, mashed banana, canned pumpkin, etc.*
- 1 TB vanilla extract
- liquid vanilla stevia, to taste (I use about 30-35 drops)
- ½ cup Make Your Own Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Add dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Combine wet ingredients in a smaller bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- dd chocolate chips and stir.
- Form small balls, place on cookie sheet and then flatten them a bit using two fingers and pressing lightly.
- Bake about 7-10 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool, and serve.
*The original recipe calls for agave, which I do NOT recommend. If you use honey, you could use that here. Honey is a rare treat for us, along with most other sweeteners. For that reason, I try to use fruit and/or liquid stevia.
I’ve developed a mysterious apple allergy (major bummer!), and Mr. Native Texan has a slight allergy to bananas. So for a while I used canned pumpkin. It definitely works, but the cookies will not be as sweet. Use more stevia, if you like, and maybe more chocolate chips. Recently, we went back to using bananas in this recipe and they were So Good. (Which was when I may or may not have eaten four cookies at a time).
When I use bananas, which is my current favorite way to make these cookies, I do not use any stevia at all.
Ingredients, Doubled & Quadrupled:
(These freeze well. Sometimes I make them ahead of time for certain occasions or trips, etc.)
- [5 cups; 10 cups] blanched almond flour (do not use Bob’s Red Mill)
- [1 tsp; 2 tsp] sea salt
- [1 tsp; 2 tsp] baking soda
- [1 cup; 2 cups] grapeseed oil
- [1 cup; 2 cups] applesauce, mashed banana, canned pumpkin, etc.
- [2 TB; ¼ cup] vanilla extract
- liquid vanilla stevia, to taste
- [1 cup; 2 cups] Make Your Own Chocolate Chips