Whether you are required to live without dairy–as I am–or you simply ran out of milk and are craving hot chocolate, this recipe is for you!
I’ve tried a bunch of ways of making hot chocolate without real milk, and this is by far the best yet. This recipe was pieced together from several recipes I’ve read and tried. Feel free to experiment with the ingredients!
Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
2 cans coconut milk
1 cup almond milk*
about 1 TB honey
about 6 small squares 85% chocolate bar
dash or two of unrefined sea salt
Optional: vanilla extract, ground cinnamon
*How to Make Almond Milk
You could, of course, use pre-made almond milk. However, most of them contain additives I’d rather avoid, especially since it’s such a cinch to whip up almond milk in my Vitamix.
I used about 1 cup crispy almonds + 3 cups water. If you like, you can strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer to remove the almond grit. I didn’t bother straining mine.
Note: 3 cups of water will obviously make more than you’ll need for the hot chocolate recipe above. I saved my leftovers in the fridge and used it for smoothies later in the week.
- Combine milks in small sauce pan on the stove top.
- Whisk in honey.
- Add chocolate and whisk constantly until chocolate melts.
- Add a dash of unrefined sea salt and whisk again.
- Optional: add a splash of vanilla extract and/or a sprinkle of cinnamon. (You can also add the cinnamon to each cup, as a fun garnish.)
- Pour into individual cups and serve.