If, like me, you love a healthy, hearty breakfast but don’t want to spend much time cooking in the mornings, you’ll love this make ahead Gluten Free Sausage and Egg Bake.
I throw it together while making dinner and stick it in the fridge overnight. There’s nothing better than waking up and remembering that all you have to do is pop a dish in the oven and presto! Breakfast is ready.
Plus, this Gluten Free Sausage and Egg Bake is hearty enough to serve for dinner with salad and a side of fruit. And leftovers are easy to reheat. Oh, and it’s a great way to sneak extra veggies into your family’s diet–use whatever you’ve got on hand!
- 1 pound bulk sausage
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- ¾ tsp ground mustard
- 8 eggs (For grain-free, use 10 eggs)
- 2 cups milk (I use coconut)
- 6 slices gluten free bread, toasted and cut into cubes (omit for grain-free)
- 1 cup shredded raw cheddar cheese
- ½-1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- ½ cup frozen diced red peppers
- (For grain-free, add ½ cup veggies.)
- Brown and crumble sausage in a skillet. Season sausage with sea salt and ground mustard. Spread sausage over the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs; then add milk.
- In the baking dish, layer bread cubes over the sausage, then veggies, then cheese.
- Pour egg mixture into the dish and use a spoon or spatula to push all ingredients down into the casserole to be covered by the egg mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 8 hours or overnight.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for about 45 minutes.