Gummy treats are definitely one of my biggest real food wins in the kid-friendly category. We’ve tried a variety of recipes, and while each of them worked pretty well and my kids have eaten them happily, this recipe is by far my favorite.
Guess what: it uses only real fruit–no juice! We never buy juice, so I’m delighted to have an easy gummy treat recipe that uses only fruit.
And while you can use fresh berries, I almost always use frozen. Fresh berries are usually a hot commodity at my house, while frozen berries are super easy to keep on hand.
One more thing–these are a perfect finger food for babies! And they’re easily transportable. I love keeping Homemade Gummy Treats on hand as a quick and easy snack for Baby Bro.
- 3 cups frozen blueberries
- 4 TB gelatin powder
- 1 TB raw local honey (or to taste)
- OR 1 large squirt liquid stevia
- Chop the blueberries in a high powered blender, or puree, if you like.
- Place about 2 cups of the chopped berries in a small saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat.
- Place the remaining chopped berries in a medium to large glass bowl. A large glass Pyrex measuring cup works well for this--one with a handle and spout.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold berries in the bowl.
- When the berries in the saucepan begin to bubble, turn off the heat and stir in the honey until it's well incorporated.
- Add the hot berries to the cold berries in the bowl, and mix well.
- Pour or spoon into silicone molds or a flat, glass baking dish (8x8 works well for a single recipe).
- Chill in the refrigerator until set. (In my experience, it doesn't take long at all.)
- If using a glass baking dish, cut into cubes. For silicone molds, simply pop out the gummies.
- Store gummy treats in the refrigerator.
How easy is that!? I hope your family loves these easy, healthy, Homemade Gummy Treats.
Kathleen Henderson is the Yankee behind the Homestead, where she keeps up with Mr. Native Texan, three busy boys, a large dog, an assortment of chickens and an organic garden on three beautiful acres in Northern Virginia. Yankee Homestead is where she organizes her tips, tricks and resources for a healthy life. Favorite topics include real food recipes, gluten-free living, essential oils and home remedies, all things natural and nontoxic, plus mommy musings and homeschooling resources. Find out more on the About page