Trying to cut back on grains? You’ll love this Paleo Plantain Fried Rice!
As you may have noticed, plantains are one of my favorite new tricks for serving up nutrient-dense, grain-free foods.
Two Plantain Recipes You Should Try
- Paleo Plantain Tortillas – So much more than a tortilla recipe, Paleo Plantain Tortillas are a huge real food win! Skip the grains + yucky oils and fill your family up on nutrient dense real food!
- Paleo Plantain Chips – The perfect grain-free substitution for tortilla chips! Even if you’re not avoiding grains, you’ll love these crunchy little chips.
The Autoimmune Diet
My holistic MD thinks something is up with my immune system. Boo. Naturally, he recommends I follow an autoimmune, i.e. Paleo, diet.
While I definitely feel better when eating strictly Paleo, following a 100% grain-free diet can be a challenge. Especially since I refuse to cook separate dishes for my family. For the most part, whatever I cook must be (somewhat) acceptable to my whole crew.
Until recently, we were still eating brown rice pretty regularly. Even though I cooked it in homemade bone broth for added nutrition, rice is obviously not Paleo. It’s a grain.
So when my doctor recommended an autoimmune diet, I decided to look for simple grain-free sides that would seem like starches and grains.
Personally, I can’t understand why no one else in my family shares my love of Cauli-rice or Cauliflower Mashed Faux-tatoes. Such a travesty!
- Slice off both ends of each plantain. Cut the skin lengthwise and peel.
- Cut each plantain in half, into two shorter sections.
- Spiralize the plantains.
- Chop the plantain noodles until they resemble rice. This can be done with a food processor or a knife.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet (or a wok, if you have one) over medium heat.
- Add coconut oil to the pan.
- Add onions and cook until starting to brown.
- Add zucchini and peppers. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add frozen peas and stir.
- Add plantain "rice" and cook for several minutes.
- Stir in the whisked eggs. Cook, stirring frequently.
- When the eggs are cooked, remove from the heat and add tamari or aminos and fish sauce.
- Stir and serve.