Well, this quinoa recipe was a recent hit at our house. And by “hit,” I mean that the adults liked it and the boys ate it willingly, with no complaints. That makes it a hit, in my opinion. 🙂
I sort of improvised the whole recipe–based on a few tips from a friend and from a few recipes I found online–and tried to jot down a few notes as I went along, just in case it turned out well.
So here are my notes…
I’m planning to experiment more with this same concept, using other veggies and ingredients. I’ll keep you posted! (And if you have a great variation, please share it in the comments below!)
Toasted Quinoa with Sautéed Veggies
- about 3/4 cup shredded zucchini (mine came from our garden, via the freezer), or chopped/ shredded veggies of your choice
- bacon drippings (or any good oil or fat, like lard, pastured butter or coconut oil)
- 1-2 TB chopped crispy walnuts
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- unrefined sea salt
- fresh chopped parsley
- Melt oil or fat in a skillet. (I used cast iron.)
- Add zucchini and sauté until toasty.
- Add walnuts and sauté a bit more.
- Clear a small spot on the bottom of the skillet and add the garlic, sautéing until browned (but not burned!).
- Add cooked quinoa and stir to combine.
- Continue sautéing mixture until it reaches your desired toastiness.
- Add salt and parsley and stir.
- Serve and enjoy!