I love guacamole.
Until Little Brother arrived on the scene, I was, alas, the only avocado-lover at the Yankee Homestead. So sad.
I made guacamole only for guests, because I was incapable of eating a whole batch on my own.
Now I can whip up a small batch and even Mr. Native Texan will pitch in and eat some! Older Brother’s still holding out, but in time I hope he too will come to appreciate the Amazing Avocado.
Update: Baby Bro has joined the ranks of avocado fans at my house. Hooray!
What’s so amazing about the avocado?
Avocados contain good fats and nutrients known to:
- Prevent heart disease
- Increase nutrient absorption
- Prevent aging
- Prevent cataracts
- Contribute to healthy skin and hair
- Improve diabetic conditions
- Maintain healthy weight
- Enhance the immune system
- Benefit overall health
I use avocados for so many purposes: as a substitute for mayo and sour cream, on soups and salads and sandwiches, and of course, in guacamole! Below is my go-to recipe.
- Ripe avocados, chopped
- Amy's Salsa, to taste
- Unrefined sea salt, to taste
- Optional: 1 drop of Lime essential oil
- Chop avocados and place in your serving bowl.
- Add Amy's Salsa, to taste.
- Add Unrefined Sea Salt, to taste.
- Stir well.
- Add 1 drop of Lime oil and stir again.
- Taste, and add more salsa, salt or Lime oil if necessary.
What’s your favorite way to make guacamole?
Sources & Further Reading:
- Food Renegade: 10 Amazing Anti-aging Foods You Can Find at the Grocery Store
- Weston A. Price: Know Your Fats –See especially the section entitled “The Benefits of Saturated Fats”
- Health Diaries: 10 Health Benefits of Avocados