If you planted zucchini in your garden this year, then you likely have it growing out the wazoo right about now–just like us here at the Yankee Homestead.
Here are just a few recipes we’ve enjoyed lately, in an effort to put all that zucchini to good use!
Remember that all Yankee Homestead recipes are free of gluten and refined sugar. Many recipes are dairy-free and paleo, as well.
Oh my goodness, I love this recipe! I chose to make it into muffins, and of course, added (mini) chocolate chips to some of the batter. For some reason unbeknownst to me, my middle child does not like chocolate in his breads and muffins. What!?
It’s true, and so I made some plain muffins and some with chocolate. I highly recommend the chocolate chip version!
By the way, someone who loves me recently bestowed upon me Danielle Walker’s Against All Grain paleo cookbook (pictured above), and I am LOVING it. Highly recommend!
I was looking for a few ways to serve zucchini at dinner, and actually have my children want to eat it…
The good news is that everyone in my family was willing to eat these tasty tots. The even better news is that Middle Brother–notoriously picky when it comes to veggies, especially green ones, and red ones, and, well, anything that’s not a carrot–gobbled up his tot and declared it “very yummy”.
The slightly disappointing news is that Mr. Native Texan was not as enthusiastic about these Zucchini Tots as I was hoping he’d be. Sigh.
A few notes…
- I tweaked the recipe a bit, using plain GF bread crumbs, omitting the salt and pepper and adding Homemade Herbamare instead. And of course I used raw, full-fat cheese from the farm.
- For one batch, I used an extra egg–these would be great for breakfast!
- For another batch, I used crushed Brown Rice Snaps, onion-flavored, and Homemade Herbamare. They were tasty, but next time I’ll probably omit the Herbamare when using seasoned crumbs.
3. Fried Zucchini Rounds
I forgot to take a picture of these. Sorry!
Here’s the basic idea:
- Zucchini, sliced into rounds
- Flour (I used potato)
- Salt (unrefined sea salt)
- Black Pepper
- Bacon grease
- Cast iron skillet
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add grease.
- Slice zucchini.
- Beat egg in one bowl.
- Place flour and seasoning in a second bowl.
- Dredge zucchini rounds in egg, then flour, then place in the skillet.
- Let them brown on one side, then turn to brown on the other side.
- Remove rounds to drain on a paper towel.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: I think you could use just about any flour or even corn meal–whatever you’ve got on hand!