What we love about this collection of “Irish stories, poetry, folklore, and (of course) blarney”:
- Brief selections. Perfect for kids! I tend to read one or two to the boys as they finish up breakfast or lunch.
- Excellent explanations. Each selection begins with a short description of pertinent background information, including remarks about the author. I’m learning more than the boys!
- Varied format. I love that this compilation includes songs, poetry and recipes, along with the stories.
- Impressive list of authors. The compilation includes pieces by William Butler Yeats, James Joyce, Eve Bunting, Oscar Wilde, Cecil Frances Alexander and many others.
- Appropriate illustrations. Acclaimed illustrator David McPhail traveled throughout the Emerald Isle in preparation for this project. The boys have enjoyed his pictures!
All in all, I’m impressed by this book. I’m always on the lookout for good compilations to add to our holiday celebrations, and this is becoming a new favorite.
May the road rise to meet you…. 🙂
See more of our favorite St Patrick’s Day books here: Children’s Books for St. Patrick’s Day.
Kathleen Henderson is the Yankee behind the Homestead, where she keeps up with Mr. Native Texan, three busy boys, a large dog, an assortment of chickens and an organic garden on three beautiful acres in Northern Virginia. Yankee Homestead is where she organizes her tips, tricks and resources for a healthy life. Favorite topics include real food recipes, gluten-free living, essential oils and home remedies, all things natural and nontoxic, plus mommy musings and homeschooling resources. Find out more on the About page