Welcome to Yankee Homestead!
If you love...
- simple & awesome real food recipes (gluten-free, too!)
- nontoxic body care products that actually work
- rockstar essential oil tips
- organic gardening secrets
- natural health & wellness
- top notch resources for wholesome family living
- plus a bit of backyard chicken love
...you'll feel right at home here!
Can you relate? You want to get healthy but…
- don’t know where to start
- don’t have time to do the research
- don’t have much encouragement to make healthy choices
- don’t want to waste time or money on recipes and products that don’t work
What if you had a guide, someone who would…
- show you where to start
- do the research for you
- inspire you to make healthy choices
- test all the natural products and healthy recipes to tell you which ones actually work
How Yankee Homestead Got Started...
After a few years of mysterious symptoms with lots of unhelpful answers from doctors, I finally received a thyroid disease diagnosis. Next, I learned I had Hashimoto's, an autoimmune thyroid disease.
This led to much research, which eventually led to a dietary overhaul. Out went the gluten. Yikes! Next was dairy and eggs, and then sugar. Double, triple yikes!
One thing led to another, and now I am completely and utterly crunchy. There's no turning back, folks!
At the beginning, I was overwhelmed. I struggled to find resources and answers while battling exhaustion and attempting to care for an infant and a preschooler.
Gradually, I built up a collection of research, recipes, tips and tricks. And slowly, but surely, I began to feel better. Better than I’d felt in YEARS! This "crunchy" lifestyle felt good.
I needed a way to organize all my new healthy resources, and I wanted to share them with others. Plus, all my friends kept asking me for tips. And recipes. And recommendations.
Thus, Yankee Homestead was born!
5 Things About Kathleen...
1. Christ-follower - Trying to remember daily that I’m a sinner saved by grace...
2. Wife of Mr. Native Texan - I grew up in Pennsylvania. Which makes me a Yankee. Which is a fact I’d never really considered before moving to Texas and marrying a native...
3. Boy mom of three - Even the dog is a boy! Older Bro is ten, Middle Bro is seven and Baby Bro is now three.
4. Homeschool mom - What?? Definitely on my running list of Things I Never Expected. The longer we homeschool, the more we love it! Except for the days when it's really hard. Which is most days, actually. Seriously, it's super-rewarding and such a great fit for our family.
5. Country Girl - It's such a blessing to live out in the country where we enjoy God’s creation every day! In fact, God’s creation often makes its way into our home and into our laundry. Can you say toads/rocks/crayfish/tadpoles/crickets/ bones/mud?
By the way, our homestead is in Northern Virginia, which is about as far north as you can get without crossing the Mason Dixon line. This fact is not lost on Mr. Native Texan. (The Mason Dixon line is another thing I learned about during my decade-long stint in the Lonestar State. I mean, I’d heard of it before. You know, as a part of our nation’s history.)
Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you...shoot me an email here, or leave a comment on the blog.