Cedarwood oil is reported to repel ticks, which are a major problem for us here in Northern Virginia.
I’m increasing the amount of oil this year, too. Keep in mind that this is a rather loose formula–feel free to experiment with the rate of dilution. Some folks apply these essential oils without any dilution at all, while others dilute even more than I do. Do what works best for you!
My favorite container for homemade bug spray is a 4 oz recycled fractionated coconut oil bottle.
- 4 oz spray bottle (glassor plastic see notes)
- 25-30 drops Purify Cleansing Blend
- 25-30 drops TerraShield Repellent Blend
- 20-25 drops Peppermint
- 25 drops Cedarwood
- Combine essential oils in a 4 oz. dark glass spray bottle.
- Add water to fill.
- Insert spray top.
- Shake well before each use.
- Optional: add custom label.
Here’s a little video I made about my DIY Bug Spray…
Kathleen Henderson is the yankee behind the homestead. Follow along as we grow real food and three boys while renovating a 20-acre farm in northern Virginia. Do you love homegrown food, Paleo-ish recipes, and natural living? You’re in good company! Let’s grow together…