This Easy Seasoning Salt with Essential Oils is fantastic on a slow cooked roast, and would work well for other meats too. It also makes a great gift! Scroll to the bottom of this post for gift-giving suggestions.
Both recipes are provided below.
The method is super simple, and yields tasty, tender meat. Tip: After enjoying your roast, use the leftover meat to make this delicious Paleo Beef & Veggie Soup with Sweet Potato.
- 1-2 TB coconut oil
- 1 large roast (about 4 lbs)
- ½ c red wine
- ½ c balsamic vinegar
- 2 TB seasoning salt, or to taste
- 2 cups water or broth
- Heat a large skillet (I prefer cast iron) over medium heat and add 1-2 TB coconut oil.
- Sear a large roast (about 4 lbs) by browning for a few minutes on each side.
- Place the roast in a slow cooker.
- Pour about ½ cup red wine over the meat.
- Pour about ½ cup balsamic vinegar over the meat.
- Sprinkle with seasoning salt to cover the roast, lifting it a bit to cover the underside.
- Add 1-2 cups water or broth.
- Cook 8 hours on low.
- Serve with Mashed Faux-tatoes, roasted carrots, or other simply prepared veggies.
- 2 TB unrefined sea salt
- 2 drops Basil essential oil
- 1 drop Thyme essential oil
- 1 drop Marjoram essential oil
- 1 drop Rosemary essential oil
- 1 drop Lavender essential oil
- 1 drop Fennel essential oil
- Place salt in a small bowl. (Use glass, ceramic, or stainless steel. Do not use plastic.)
- Add essential oils.
- Stir or whisk to combine.
- Pour into storage jar. (Again, use glass, ceramic, or stainless steel.)
- Add a label.
Adapted from EatPlant’s recipe for Provence Seasoning Salt.
Make a huge batch of Easy Seasoning Salt with Essential Oils, add to cute glass jars with decorative labels, and give them as gifts! Include suggestions for use, such as my slow cooked roast listed above.
To fill one 4 oz jar, you’ll want to quadruple the basic recipe. Use 1/2 cup salt, 8 drops Basil and 4 drops of each remaining oil.
Suggested Jars for Gift-Giving:
- 4 oz canning jars
- 4 oz hexagon glass jars
- 4 oz mini mason shaker jars
- spice shaker jars
- 5 oz Weck jars
Kathleen Henderson is the Yankee behind the Homestead, where she keeps up with Mr. Native Texan, three busy boys, a large dog, an assortment of chickens and an organic garden on three beautiful acres in Northern Virginia. Yankee Homestead is where she organizes her tips, tricks and resources for a healthy life. Favorite topics include real food recipes, gluten-free living, essential oils and home remedies, all things natural and nontoxic, plus mommy musings and homeschooling resources. Find out more on the About page