Sugar scrubs are one of my favorite gifts to make with essential oils. This multitasking recipe fights both winter blues and dry, winter skin. Plus, it smells great.
3 Reasons to Love Sugar Scrubs:
- Easy: only 3 ingredients!
- Inexpensive: the perfect gift for teachers, neighbors, hostesses, etc.
- Effective: sugar exfoliates, coconut oil moisturizes and essential oil adds therapeutic benefits.
During the winter, I won’t be caught without a cute little jar of sugar scrub by my kitchen sink and in the shower. Daily use really helps to keep my hands soft all winter long. Bonus: Pair a moisturizing sugar scrub with this awesome hard lotion, and your hands will be all set for the winter.
Last week, I whipped up a batch with this new combination of essential oils: Bergamot and Rosemary.
Both oils have a pleasant smell, but I chose them for their therapeutic value:
- Bergamot is well known among the citrus oils for its uplifting qualities. It can help to lessen sad and anxious feelings.
- Rosemary helps reduce nervous tension and fatigue, and combines nicely with Bergamot. Plus, it supports healthy immune function.
It’s up to you, but I like to use a ratio of approximately 2:1 for my sugar scrubs. Two parts sugar to one part coconut oil.
The amount of essential oil is also a personal preference. For one cup of sugar scrub (which fills (2) 4-oz. jars), try 10-20 drops of EO.
What’s your favorite combination of oils for sugar scrubs?
Kathleen Henderson is the yankee behind the homestead. Follow along as we grow real food and three boys while renovating a 20-acre farm in northern Virginia. Do you love homegrown food, Paleo-ish recipes, and natural living? You’re in good company! Let’s grow together…