Happy February! It’s the month of love. Want to know which books we enjoy reading during the first half of February, in honor of Valentine’s Day? You’re in luck! Our top picks are listed below.
Favorite Valentine’s Day Books for Children
The perfect books to read with your own little love bugs. Get them at the library or start your own collection to enjoy year after year!
1. Saint Valentine by Robert Sabuda
A look at the history* of Saint Valentine, with beautiful illustrations. (*It seems that solid facts concerning St. Valentine are hard to come by, but this book presents a commonly held perspective on the origins of Valentine’s Day).
2. Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch by Eileen Spinelli & Paul Yalowitz
This is our new favorite! It’s the heart warming tale of a great Valentine mix-up, with near tragic results.
3. If You’ll Be My Valentine by Cynthia Rylant & Fumi Kosaka
I think there is a Cynthia Rylant title on each of our Favorite Books lists. We love this light hearted, illustrated Valentine poem!
4. Love Is… by Wendy Anderson Halperin
Taken from the King James Version of 1 Corinthians 13, with beautifully detailed illustrations in pencil and watercolor.
5. Sweet Hearts by Jan Carr & Dorothy Donohue
A short and sweet Valentine tale, with rhyming text. Good for toddlers and young preschoolers.
6. I Love You Because You’re You by Liza Baker & David M. McPhail
The “warm and fuzzy” tale of a mother’s unconditional love for her child. Good for toddlers and young preschoolers.
7. I Love You the Purplest by Barbara M. Joosse & Mary Whyte
A beautiful book, made all the more meaningful for us as it describes the different, but equal love a mother has for her two boys.
8. Little Bear’s Valentine by Elise Holmelund Minarik & Heather Green
A sweet and simple tale of Little Bear’s search for his secret admirer.
9. The Valentine Bears by Eve Bunting & Jan Brett
A sweet tale of Mr. and Mrs. Bear and their special Valentine’s Day surprises.
10. Roses Are Pink, Your Feet Really Stink by Diane deGroat
It’s really hard to write a valentine poem for someone you don’t really like. Gilbert finds the perfect solution…until his valentine prank backfires.
11. Thankful by Eileen Spinelli & Archie Preston
At first glance, this delightful book seems more appropriate for Thanksgiving, but the last page makes it Valentine’s Day worthy.
12. Valentine Hearts: Holiday Poetry by Lee Bennett Hopkins & JoAnn Adinolfi
Light hearted poetry in honor of Valentine’s Day.
13. Things to Make and Do for Valentine’s Day by Tomie de Paola
I must confess that the crafts kind of stress me out, but the poetry, jokes, games, and illustrations are charming.
Which are your favorite books for Valentine’s Day?
More fun books to read with your kids:
Kathleen Henderson is the yankee behind the homestead. Follow along as we grow real food and three boys while renovating a 20-acre farm in northern Virginia. Do you love homegrown food, Paleo-ish recipes, and natural living? You’re in good company! Let’s grow together…