This recipe is adapted from BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles.
(Clicking on the book’s title, above, will take you to googlebooks where you can view the contents of the book online, purchase the e-book or click through to a variety of online retailers to buy a hard copy. You can also read reviews. To see the original version of this recipe, go to p. 79 of the googlebooks version).
You can also purchase it on Amazon: BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles.
The following is my Yankee Homestead tweaked version. 🙂
These “crackers” are really more like cookies. (Perhaps making them on the thin side would allow them to get more crispy, like a cracker). We’ve used them for s’mores as well as all by themselves as gingerbread cookies.
This year, I plan to use this dough for cookie-cutter Christmas cookies.
- ½ cup xylitol
- 2 TB ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups rice flour, plus more for dusting
- 1½ cups Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- ¾ cup + 2 TB melted coconut oil
- 1 TB vanilla extract
- liquid vanilla stevia, to taste
- ½ cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together rice flour, all-purpose flour, xylitol, cinnamon, ginger, xanthan gum and salt.
- Add the coconut oil, vanilla and stevia and mix with rubber spatula until very thick dough forms.
- Slowly add cold water and continue mixing until dough is slightly sticky.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Dust a clean work surface with extra rice flour and place the dough in the center.
- Roll dough around until it’s entirely covered in flour.
- Sprinkle rolling pin with flour and roll out the dough to ¼-inch thickness.
- Use a pizza roller to cut the dough into squares. Or use cookie cutters to cut into shapes.
- Transfer to the baking sheets, placing the squares about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotate, and bake until the crackers are deep golden, about 5 minutes more.
- Let stand on baking sheets for about 10 minutes.
Other recipes you might like:
Let’s get real! I’m Kathleen Henderson, your Natural Living Mentor, and I’m on a mission to help families see the joy in real food, while finding natural remedies and creating a nontoxic home.