Essential oils are sort of the lazy way of flavoring kombucha, but it’s super easy, tastes amazing, and adds health benefits to our kombucha. So we could argue that it’s actually brilliant, not lazy, to flavor kombucha with essential oils, right?
How to Flavor Kombucha with Essential Oils
Our favorite oils for flavoring kombucha are Wild Orange, Kumquat, and Green Mandarin. We’ve also used Ginger with mango.
Favorite flavor combos
Wild Orange + Vanilla
- With Wild Orange we also add the vanilla beans leftover from making homemade vanilla extract. So these aren’t brand new beans, which would probably taste amazing but would also be kind of pricey if you were using them only for kombucha.
- Each 33 oz. bottle gets one vanilla bean, or sometimes even just half a bean. (Sometimes I have to cut the vanilla beans to fit in small jars when making homemade vanilla.)
- This Orange-Vanilla combo is our favorite! The flavor is reminiscent of a creamsicle.
Even our littlest guy loves Vanilla-Orange kombucha! Just for fun, here’s a picture of him drinking kombucha last year at our old house, right before we moved to the farm (hence the empty shelves).
Kumquat or Green Mandarin
- With Kumquat and Green Mandarin, we add only the essential oil and nothing else. The flavor is sweet and citrusy.
Ginger + Mango
- For the Ginger combo, we add a few pieces of mango to each 33 oz. bottle.
- This flavor definitely has a zing! If you love ginger, you’ll probably love this combo.
How much oil?
We add about 5 drops essential oil to each 33 oz. swing bottle.
Do you make kombucha? Have you ever tried to flavor kombucha with essential oils?
Kathleen Henderson is the yankee behind the homestead. Follow along as we grow real food and three boys while renovating a 20-acre farm in northern Virginia. Do you love homegrown food, Paleo-ish recipes, and natural living? You’re in good company! Let’s grow together…