You win some, you lose some. Especially when it comes to kids and vegetables.
Take cauliflower, for example. Cauli-rice? My kids are not fans. Mashed Cauliflower Faux-tatoes? Score!
I am so super thrilled with this easy, delicious, kid-approved alternative to rice or white potatoes. Mashed Cauliflower Faux-tatoes provide the illusion of a starchy-grainy side dish next to our meat, when really it’s all vegetables, baby.
They really are delicious. I’ve never been too keen on mashed potatoes, especially since we overhauled our diet. But I could really chow down on these faux-tatoes!
One of the best parts is the quick prep time. Wash, chop, steam, puree. That’s it!
I hope these Mashed Cauliflower Faux-tatoes are as big of a hit at your house as they have been at mine…
- 5 whole garlic cloves, or about 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed into florets
- ¼-1/2 cup liquid (almond milk, bone broth, etc.)
- 3 TB coconut oil or butter
- 1½ tsp unrefined sea salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Roast the garlic:
Whole cloves in the oven--Preheat to 425. Drizzle unpeeled cloves with a bit of melted coconut oil and roast in the oven for about 15 minutes.
Minced jarred garlic on the stove--Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add garlic in an even layer and cook for a few minutes until it starts to brown.
- Place cauliflower florets in a large saucepan with about ½ inch water. Cover, and steam for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the water completely and add steamed cauliflower to a food processor.
- If using whole garlic cloves, squeeze the garlic skins to release the cloves.
- Add the garlic; milk or broth; oil or butter; salt; and pepper to the food processor.
- Process until smooth and creamy.
Have you tried Cauli-rice or Mashed Cauliflower Faux-tatoes? What was your family’s reaction?
Kathleen Henderson is the yankee behind the homestead. Follow along as we grow real food and three boys while renovating a 20-acre farm in northern Virginia. Do you love homegrown food, Paleo-ish recipes, and natural living? You’re in good company! Let’s grow together…