This dairy-free Mixed Berry Coconut Milk Ice Cream is super easy and super versatile!
Eat it right away, like soft serve ice cream. Or freeze it for 30-45 minutes for a more scoopable ice cream. Leftovers can be saved for smoothies, made into popsicles, or used later for the same ice cream recipe.
With only three ingredients: frozen berries, coconut milk, and optional sweetener, it’s a snap to whip up.
It’s a balancing act: too much coconut water will make the ice cream soft, but too little could cause your machine to freeze up. Either way, soft or thick, your ice cream will taste fine. It’s a pretty forgivable recipe. Most of the time, I don’t even measure the ingredients.
If you’re in a hurry to eat it, the ice cream will be more like soft serve. If you have time to stick it in the freezer for 30-45 minutes, it will firm up.
Freeze the leftovers:
- in ice cube trays for smoothies or for the next time you make this ice cream
- in popsicle molds
- to eat later: just pull out the container 30-60 minutes before you plan to eat it to let it soften up a bit
We like to add mini chocolate chips to our Mixed Berry Coconut Milk Ice Cream because pretty much everything is better with a little chocolate on top!
- about 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- coconut cream from 2 cans coconut milk
- about ⅔ cup coconut water from the coconut milk
- sweetener, to taste: 8-10 drops liquid vanilla stevia or 4 tsp maple syrup or honey
- optional: pure vanilla, to taste (1 tsp to 1 TB)
- optional: top with mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings
- Place 2 cans of coconut milk in the fridge for at least a few hours, longer is better.
- Add chilled coconut cream from the two cans to a high speed blender.
- Add 2 cups frozen mixed berries.
- Get your tamper ready...you'll definitely need it!
- Mix to combine, adding coconut water as needed to help blend and using the tamper to push the frozen berries down toward the blade during the blending process.
Kathleen Henderson is the Yankee behind the Homestead, where she keeps up with Mr. Native Texan, three busy boys, a large dog, an assortment of chickens and an organic garden on three beautiful acres in Northern Virginia. Yankee Homestead is where she organizes her tips, tricks and resources for a healthy life. Favorite topics include real food recipes, gluten-free living, essential oils and home remedies, all things natural and nontoxic, plus mommy musings and homeschooling resources. Find out more on the About page