One night when my youngest son was about nine months old, he experienced an incident that called for powerful essential oils for respiratory support.
It was late at night, and he woke up very suddenly in distress. In fact, while my husband held my small son, I raced to dress myself, prepared to seek outside assistance.
Thankfully, we remained calm and used several natural remedies to provide respiratory support.
What we did:
- Hot, steamy shower – We turned on the hot water and sat inside the shower with the door closed, holding him allowing him to breathe in the hot steam.
- Fresh, cold air outdoors – Next, we bundled him up and took him outside to breathe in the cool air.
- Custom blend of essential oils – Finally, we applied a custom blend of powerful essential oils for respiratory support. See recipe and instructions below. We also diffused these same oils in his bedroom.
What he needed most was rest, and I wasn’t eager to expose my infant to extra germs, more sleep deprivation, and the stress of bright lights and strangers poking him. Nor was I eager to pay an exorbitant fee for such a late night excursion.
I was thrilled and relieved that the combination of these natural solutions provided the respiratory support he needed. He was able to sleep in his own bed that night, and so were we!
He didn’t return to 100% right away, but we were able to ease his breathing to the point that he could sleep. As we consistently supported his respiratory and immune systems over the next few days, his little body was able to fight off the threats and return to normal.
This, my friends, is yet another example of why I am so passionate about natural healthcare. With the right tools, we really do have the ability to handle most of our families’ health concerns at home, with natural solutions.
Here’s a little video all about this blend of powerful essential oils for respiratory support…
This blend of powerful essential oils for respiratory support is also helpful for more routine respiratory threats. For this reason, I like to keep at least one bottle upstairs and one bottle downstairs.
Whenever one of my guys is in need of a little respiratory support, having the blends already mixed up and available nearby makes it so much easier to apply the oils more frequently and consistently throughout the day.
Applying less oil, more often is a key rule of thumb when it comes to using essential oils with success.
Here’s the recipe for my blend of powerful essential oils for respiratory support…
- Start with 2 oz. FCO in an empty bottle with a pump top.
- For babies: add 3-5 drops of each essential oil (3-5 drops Marjoram + 3-5 drops Thyme).
- For kids: add 10-12 drops of each oil.
- Shake well.
- Add a label (I use my handy dandy label maker.)
- Apply at least 2-3x per day to chest, upper back (over lungs), and soles of the feet.
More Respiratory Support
- More Essential Oils for Respiratory Support
- Respiratory Support: Steaming Mug of Death with a Twist
- Homemade Shower Vapor Disks with Essential Oils
Kathleen Henderson is the yankee behind the homestead. Follow along as we grow real food and three boys while renovating a 20-acre farm in northern Virginia. Do you love homegrown food, Paleo-ish recipes, and natural living? You’re in good company! Let’s grow together…