Fall is in the air, which of course makes us want to bake all sorts of pumpkin goodies. Here’s a healthy version of one of my all-time favorite pumpkin treats: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. Sweetened with honey, liquid stevia and mashed banana, these pumpkin cookies are free of refined sugar as well as gluten. Almond flour packs a nutritional punch and orange extract (or essential oil!) rounds out the flavor.
Happy fall, y’all!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
A few notes…
- This recipe is loosely based on Adrienne‘s recipe for Soft Pumpkin Cookies, over at Whole New Mom.
- A single recipe makes a little more than 24 cookies.
- A double recipe (using the measurements in parentheses) makes about 54 cookies.
- 1 cup (1 14 oz. can) unsweetened, canned pumpkin
- ½ cup (1 cup) melted coconut oil
- 1-3 TB (⅓ cup) raw honey
- liquid vanilla stevia, to taste (I use “1 squirt” for a double recipe)
- 1 small (1 medium) very ripe banana, mashed*
- optional: up to 1 TB orange extract OR 1 drop Wild Orange essential oil (2 TB extract OR 1-2 drops EO)
- 1 cup (2 cups) blanched almond flour
- ½ cup (1 cup) coconut flour
- 1 tsp (2 tsp) baking soda
- 1 tsp (2 tsp) cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (½ tsp) unrefined sea salt
- ¼-½ cup (½-¾ cup) Make Your Own Chocolate Chips
- Optional: chopped crispy nuts (walnuts, macadamia, etc.)
*Applesauce is a possible substitution for the banana, although I haven’t tried it.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine wet ingredients in medium (large) bowl.
- Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix lightly.
- Add chocolate chips and/or nuts.
- Form dough into small balls, flattening them a bit with your fingers after placing them on the cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
NOTE: If you make a large batch, I recommend refrigerating or freezing the extras. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies will get moldy if left at room temperature for more than a few days.
Looking for gluten-free, sugar-free, egg-free and dairy-free dessert recipes? Check out these Yankee Homestead recipes:
- Brownie Bites
- Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Coconut Bark
- Chunky Monkey (frozen treat)
- Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- Cooked Frozen Berries
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Pumpkin Nut Butter Brownies
Kathleen Henderson is the Yankee behind the Homestead, where she keeps up with Mr. Native Texan, three busy boys, a large dog, an assortment of chickens and an organic garden on three beautiful acres in Northern Virginia. Yankee Homestead is where she organizes her tips, tricks and resources for a healthy life. Favorite topics include real food recipes, gluten-free living, essential oils and home remedies, all things natural and nontoxic, plus mommy musings and homeschooling resources. Find out more on the About page