Looking for gluten-free Real Food for your Super Bowl party? Look no further!
A few ideas from our Yankee Homestead…Enjoy!
- Crispy Nuts—My recipe is for plain nuts. (Plain as in “no added flavors.” They do have salt.) If you prefer spiced nuts, check out these over at Elana’s Pantry: Paleo Spiced Nuts. For her recipe, I recommend starting with Crispy Nuts.
- Quinoa Crockpot Chili–A hearty fix-ahead meal! Serve it as a main course, or in small bowls as a substantial appetizer.
- Last Minute Meatballs—These also can be made ahead of time, and gently reheated in the oven.
- Chicken Nuggets—A favorite with children and grown men alike! (Ditto on the make-ahead and reheating).
- Coconut Wraps—We LOVE these nutritious wraps! Wrap up your favorite combinations of quality, nitrite/nitrate-free lunch meat, good cheese, condiments, veggies. Cut into halves or thirds and secure with toothpicks.
- Hummus with veggies–This is standard fare at the Yankee Homestead and makes a great party tray for non-Real Foodies, too. Our favorite brand of store-bought hummus is Tribe.
- Crackers & Cheese–If you can do dairy, this is a no-brainer. Good, GF crackers with good, raw cheese. Most “high end” grocery stores, as well as many health food stores, should carry at least one good, raw cheese. [Local friends can find Manchego–a Spanish cheese made from raw sheep’s milk–and wonderful varieties of raw cheddar–labeled Grafton Village, from family farms in Vermont–at Wegmans.] Some of our favorite GF crackers include Mary’s Gone (warning: they do contain soy, which I try to avoid, so these are an occasional snack at our house), Brown Rice Snaps, and Sesame Rice Crisps. [All of these crackers should be available at regular grocery stores and health food stores.]
- Beef sticks cut into bite-sized pieces or sliced Salami
- World’s Easiest Guacamole—We do still eat regular corn tortilla chips, not because they’re nutritious, but because I have yet to find an affordable alternative. These millet & flax pita chips are really good, and are available locally at the Natural Mercantile but are a little pricey.
- Chocolate Coconut Bark—One of our current favs! Versatile and easy to make.
- Chocolate Cupcakes—Another all-time favorite at our house.
Other posts you might like:
- Favorite portable, high-protein, gluten-free snacks
- Amy’s Salsa passes the Native Texan test
- Fried Plantains
- My Ongoing Household Detox Resolution, Phase Three: Kitchenware
Let’s get real! I’m Kathleen Henderson, your Natural Living Mentor, and I’m on a mission to help families see the joy in real food, while finding natural remedies and creating a nontoxic home.