One of the advantages of homeschooling is that when everyone else is headed back to school, our family is packing our bags for the beach. Back-to-beach time for us, baby!
Who wants to cook at the beach? Not me! But I still want my family to eat healthy real food. Instead of slaving away while we’re on vacation, I choose to cook up a storm the week before.
Here’s a peek at our meal plan for the week, along with some of the recipes I prepared in advance…
Thankfully, three out of seven dinners are covered by other family members. Woot! It’s one of the perks of vacationing with extended family. That, and the free babysitting. Thanks, Mimi & Papa!
Which leaves me with…
- 7 breakfasts
- 7 lunches
- 4 dinners
- snack & treats
- Paleo Waffles + Homemade Berry Syrup + Bacon
- Homemade Granola + raisins + milk / coconut milk
- Toasted Paleo Almond Butter Bread topped with almond butter + fruit + Bacon
- Scrambled Eggs + Bacon or Ham + Almond Flour Biscuits with Homemade Blueberry Jam
- Salad + leftover Slow Cooked Roast
- This-n-That: Applegate Farms Deli Ham; Hummus + Carrot Chips; Raw Cheddar Cheese; Fruit; Rice Crackers
- Tuna Salad + Toasted Paleo Almond Butter Bread
- Slow Cooked Roast + Roasted Sweet Potatoes + Sauteed Zucchini
- Game Day Meatballs + GF Mac-n-Cheese + Roasted Carrots (from the garden!) + Homegrown Canned Green Beans
- Grilled Local Sausage + Roasted Veggies + Sauteed Spinach with Bacon
- Easy Almond Flour Graham Crackers
- Homemade Gummy Treats with Real Fruit
- Pumpkin Nut Butter Brownies
- Cookie Dough Bites
- Homemade Granola
- Grass-fed Beef Sticks
- Raw Cheddar Cheese
By the way, Game Day Meatballs wouldn’t normally land on my “Real Food Meal Plan for Vacation” list. Older Bro turns 10 during our week at the beach and he requested them for his birthday dinner.
Come to think of it, this real food meal plan for vacation isn’t all that different from our usual weekly meal plan. Except for all the treats! And many of these recipes are great make-ahead options, whether you’re batch cooking, getting ready for a new baby, or headed on vacation.
What are your favorite easy or make-ahead real food meals for trips or freezer cooking?
Kathleen Henderson is the Yankee behind the Homestead, where she keeps up with Mr. Native Texan, three busy boys, a large dog, an assortment of chickens and an organic garden on three beautiful acres in Northern Virginia. Yankee Homestead is where she organizes her tips, tricks and resources for a healthy life. Favorite topics include real food recipes, gluten-free living, essential oils and home remedies, all things natural and nontoxic, plus mommy musings and homeschooling resources. Find out more on the About page