Seasoned Taco Meat
- I always double or triple this recipe, in order to have leftovers.
- It freezes well, too.
- This taco meat is great for using up leftover veggies or frozen shredded zucchini from our garden. The possibilities are endless!
- It’s not a particularly labor-intensive recipe, but it does require a bit of time to simmer.
- I like to eat it on salad greens like a taco salad, but my boys prefer to eat it with tortilla chips (see below). And stay tuned for an awesome paleo tortilla recipe coming soon…
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1 TB cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 lb. ground meat (beef, bison, turkey or chicken)
- 1 onion, chopped (I use frozen, chopped onions)
- 1 carrot shredded (I use matchstick carrots)
- 1 cup any other veggies you like (shredded zucchini, diced peppers, etc)
- approx. 1 cup liquid–homemade stock, water or tomato sauce (I often use a combination of homemade broth + homemade tomato sauce.)
- diced tomatoes
- diced avocado
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Brown meat.
- Add onion, carrot and other veggies.
- Cook until onions are translucent and veggies are soft.
- Add seasoning and sauté a few minutes more.
- Add liquid and cook down to desired consistency.
- Enjoy as a taco salad or scoop up like nachos with tortilla chips.* You could also serve the meat over sauteed greens, roasted butternut squash or sweet potatoes, etc. I’m also working on a paleo tortilla recipe…coming soon!
*Officially, I recommend Sami’s Millet & Flax Pita Chips. Practically speaking, our family still eats regular tortilla chips sometimes, even though I know they’re made with TERRIBLE oils. I feel guilty every time we eat them, but I can’t bring myself to pay for Sami’s chips on a regular basis. Stay tuned for an awesome paleo tortilla recipe…
Let’s get real! I’m Kathleen Henderson, your Natural Living Mentor, and I’m on a mission to help families see the joy in real food, while finding natural remedies and creating a nontoxic home.