It seems that spring has finally arrived (for the third time this year) to Northern Virginia, which means it’s time to reinstate a Yankee Homestead tradition:
The Sunday Evening Nature Walk
Just last night, the boys and I enjoyed introducing Mr. Native Texan to the joys of the Chapman DeMary Trail, a little-known treasure of the Purcellville area.
Interested in Nature Study ideas for kids?
Check out these resources and recommendations:
- Spring Wildflowers and a Great Online Identification Tool
- 13 Ideas for a Spring Nature Walk
- Exploring Nature With Kids: The Nature Display
- Favorite Children’s Books for Spring
- Poems for Spring
- Excellent Nature Biography for Kids (The Flower Hunter: William Bartram, America’s first naturalist)
- Free Nature Journal Resources for Kids
- Naturalist-Recommended Wildflower Guides
- On-the-Go Nature Guides for Kids
- Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder (Book Review)
Kathleen Henderson is the Yankee behind the Homestead, where she keeps up with Mr. Native Texan, three busy boys, a large dog, an assortment of chickens and an organic garden on three beautiful acres in Northern Virginia. Yankee Homestead is where she organizes her tips, tricks and resources for a healthy life. Favorite topics include real food recipes, gluten-free living, essential oils and home remedies, all things natural and nontoxic, plus mommy musings and homeschooling resources. Find out more on the About page