It seems that spring has finally arrived (for the third time this year) to Northern Virginia, which means it’s time to reinstate a Yankee Homestead tradition:
The Sunday Evening Nature Walk
Just last night, the boys and I enjoyed introducing Mr. Native Texan to the joys of the Chapman DeMary Trail, a little-known treasure of the Purcellville area.
Interested in Nature Study ideas for kids?
Check out these resources and recommendations:
- Spring Wildflowers and a Great Online Identification Tool
- 13 Ideas for a Spring Nature Walk
- Exploring Nature With Kids: The Nature Display
- Favorite Children’s Books for Spring
- Poems for Spring
- Excellent Nature Biography for Kids (The Flower Hunter: William Bartram, America’s first naturalist)
- Free Nature Journal Resources for Kids
- Naturalist-Recommended Wildflower Guides
- On-the-Go Nature Guides for Kids
- Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder (Book Review)
Kathleen Henderson is the yankee behind the homestead. Follow along as we grow real food and three boys while renovating a 20-acre farm in northern Virginia. Do you love homegrown food, Paleo-ish recipes, and natural living? You’re in good company! Let’s grow together…